SENEGAL MINERGY PORT (SMP) INVITES INTERNATIONAL UNSOLICITED APPLICATIONS FOR THE RECRUITMENT OF SEA CAPTAINS TO BE TRAINED AS PILOTS FOR THE MINERAL PORT OF BARGNY
As part of the forthcoming commissioning of its port facilities, Société Senegal Minergy Port (SMP), Operator of the Mineral and Bulk port of Bargny, is considering recruiting candidates to train the port’s future pilots.
With this in mind, the General Management is opening a list of unsolicited applications for the selection of four (04) candidates for pilot training, with a view to the exercise of ship maneuvers by seagoing marine executives, long-distance captains, with high potential and proven experience in the maritime and port sector.
I. Admission requirements
Prospective Senegalese and foreign candidates fulfilling the following conditions are eligible to apply for this position
- Hold a Master Mariner (CLC) or Captain First Class certificate.
- Have taken the training courses recommended by IMO Resolution A 960.
- Have at least 36 months’ actual sailing experience, and have held the position of deck officer for at least 24 months on board merchant ships of 3,000 gross tonnage or more.
- Knowledge of the port environment.
- Be at least twenty-six (26) and no more than forty-six (46) years of age on the date set for the competition.
- Be of sound constitution and have the cognitive ability to work as a pilot.
- Must not suffer from any of the following conditions: myopia, hypertrophy, astigmatism or color blindness, even to a slight degree, and be able to distinguish object details and colors perfectly at a great distance.
- Master maritime English.
The main role of future pilots will be to assist captains in maneuvering ships into, out of and at anchor in the pilot zone of the Bargny ore port.
In this context, they will be responsible for managing pilotage and maritime traffic and in conjunction with the relevant departments at the Port of Bargny.
II. Duties and responsibilities
The pilot will:
- Gather technical data on the passage (times, distances, weather points, currents, etc.) and draw up maneuvering strategies to share with the ship captain.
- Inform the ship’s captain of the terms and conditions of the pilotage operation, inform him of his intentions before undertaking the operation, and ensure that he fully understands them.
- Ensure and coordinate with the captain the conduct of the vessel during the maneuver.
- Communicate to the harbour master’s office and other departments involved in the reception of the vessel all information necessary for the efficient and safe flow of traffic.
- Participate as a major player in improving the port’s performance in carrying out calls.
- Ensure that the work tools and resources of the Pilotage Department are in line with the port’s objective of excellence.
- Maintain and update technical and regulatory knowledge of marine pilotage.
- Ensure the safety of the buoyage, the water area and permanent reporting during and after the piloting operation (for any malfunctions, incidents, dangerous situations, etc.) observed.
- Manage and supervise the pilotage and boatage service team under his/her responsibility.
- Maintain the port’s image with shipowners, ship captains and shipping agents.
- Ensure the safety of the ship, port facilities and the environment during maneuvers, in accordance with good seamanship and international standards.
- Ensure compliance with applicable port and maritime regulations.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of working methods, procedures and processes at the Port Minéralier de Bargny as part of the implementation of relevant international standards and norms.
III. Skills required
Candidates must demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
- In-depth knowledge of ship types (bulk carriers, oil tankers, gas carriers and tankers), their maneuvering qualities and associated maneuvering techniques.
- In-depth knowledge of the port infrastructure, prevailing weather conditions and bathymetric characteristics of the Bargny mineral port and its landings.
- Have the physical and cognitive aptitude to perform the duties of a pilot.
- Ability to manage stress.
- Ability to pass on know-how and expertise.
- Planning, organization, analysis and leadership skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Be able to work in crisis situations and unforeseen circumstances.
- Ability to manage interfaces with several stakeholders simultaneously.
- Ability to speak clearly and convincingly, and to justify decisions.
- Master maritime safety and security regulations and standards.
- Master national and international maritime and port regulations.
- Master standards relating to quality, safety and environmental management systems.
IV. Putting together the application file
The application must include the following valid documents:
- A handwritten, stamped application addressed to the Director General of SMP.
- A copy of birth certificate less than three (03) months old.
- A medical certificate of visit and counter-visit issued by aseafarers’ physician, with special reference to the visual faculties (Resolution A 960).
- A Certificate of nationality.
- A Copy of valid passport.
- A Criminal record not more than three months old.
- Certified copies of diplomas and certificates held.
- A navigation log.
- A dated and signed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- 04 recent passport photos.
V. Submission of applications
Complete application applications, planced in a stamped enveloppe, should be sent to:
- The Director General of the Port Minéralier de Bargny at the following address: 82 Fenêtre Mermoz, Dakar, Sénégal,
- and via email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submission of applications is Friday, August 11, 2023 at 16:30; without any exceptions.
NB: Candidates may attach to their application, for any useful purpose, any documents likely to determine their previous service on Land or at Sea.
Applicants will be notified of the results of the selection process and the date on which the trainees will be dispatched once the files have been examined and the candidates selected.
Dakar, August 4, 2023
Mr Dame DIANE
The Director General of SMP